Monday, January 1, 2007

Recent Knitting Projects

I'm also trying to learn how to use my new camera. I asked Brother H who is a professional photographer how to get better pictures of my various projects. He suggested a table-top photography studio. After extensive research (two articles: here and here), I gathered items for my own version (Mama, stop laughing). I wanted a gray background, but Wal-Mart did not have gray poster board. I was anxious to try things out, so I got black for now. I guess that this blog will also record my attempt to become a decent photographer and hopefully show improvement along the way.

My latest project has been knitting mittens for the current CIC challenge which is a special gift for Mittens for Akkol. I like knitting mittens, so I will be knitting for both groups in the future.






Worsted weight yarn, also hand dyed by Kimberly. These are a child's size small. Niece A was asked to try on the first pair so that I could see how they fit. She liked them so much that she asked to keep them. Of course, Aunt Sally did not say no.





The Kelazon!

This pair was supposed to be the Corazon from the Winter 2006 issue of Knitty. The chart for the top and I did not get along. So I listened to two friends who always tell me the truth and frogged. It was funny to watch the face of a new knitter (on her second project) in the group as I calmly pulled out my needles and frogged half a mitten. Kimberly and I were doing my very first KAL. She said it was OK to change the pattern. Check out her completed mittens here. Of course, Knitting Wonder Woman Kim finished hers, designed another pattern, and almost finished a second pair before I finished mine. I stayed up very late last night to make sure that I finished before she finished her second pair. She did all that with 5 children. I only have one.
I'm a little disappointed in the quality of work on these, but I am always critical of my work. I did learn a lot and they will be very warm mittens, so I am sending them on.
The yarn is Cascade Quatro (red) and Cascade 220 (white). My favorite part of knitting these was working on them while watching Georgia beat Virginia Tech. Then Georgia Tech lost today. Life is good.

Recent CIC Socks

These will be mailed the next time I get enough to send a box. They are the Eenie pattern of EenieMenieMinieMo (Heartstrings Pattern A23 - 5059)







On the left below is a close up of the stitch pattern. It really is easier than it looks. On the right, two simpler versions. All were knit out of Cascade 220 worsted weight.