Saturday, January 13, 2007

Good Thing I Had Plan B


I did manage to sew two more shirts for Niece A's doll, but just could not get in the groove (look Kim -- two o's). I learned a long time ago not to force myself to sew. I just end up frustrating myself.

I changed the pattern a little (no surprise for people who know me). I lowered the first button which meant I only needed three buttons instead of four. I believe that will be better for a child dressing a doll. The fact that I had fewer buttons to sew on had absolutely nothing to do with it.



This week saw the debut of the boring brown socks. I think I started knitting on these last summer. I don't even remember the brand of the yarn. It does have tiny flecks of other colors, so it is not totally boring. Unfortunately, many of the more interesting yarns will not go with my work wardrobe.


These are toe-up with an afterthought heel. This was the first time that I used Dawn Brocco's method for the heel. I love this method.


The cuffs are a simple knit 2, purl 2.

I tried knitting in some clear elastic thread at the top of the cuffs. It was not pretty. Also, I don't think that the elastic helped the socks stay up.

I really like doing the afterthought heel, but I think that the first socks that I made with gussets and heel flaps fit my feet better. I will continue to use the afterthought heel if I am doing any stranded colorwork or using a self-striping yarn.