Sunday, January 7, 2007

The Fruits of my Labor

I taught a sock knitting class yesterday. Three ladies attended. We had a lot of fun. It amazes me that people think I am a good enough knitter to pay me to teach them. My class project is a toe-up, afterthought heel toddler sized sock or a fingertip-to-cuff, afterthought thumb toddler sized mitten. The two projects are so similar that it does not matter to me if I have different projects going in the same group. Yesterday, all three ladies knitted socks. We do it in one marathon session. I learned after the first one, to pack a lunch instead of trying to go out for some lunch during a break. Two ladies knitting in the shop that day asked me and the owner to schedule another class. All three in yesterday's class want to take the class next month and do mittens. I think that they underestimate their own abilities and could do it on their own now, but if they want to enhance my stash, then that's OK with me. So, I am teaching again the first weekend in February.


Speaking of stash enhancement. Yesterday's loot is pictured above. I spent all but $8.06 of what I made. I guess that covers my gas.

Back row, left to right: 2nd Time Cotton for a Shapely Tank. I started knitting it a while back and even though I am getting the exact gauge, I got worried that I would run out of yarn, so I bought two more skeins. I wish you could see the colors better, but the studio is improving (more on that later). Next we have purple and red Cascade Fixation. I want to adapt Cat Bordhi's Baby Life Ring Socks to my preferred methods. The green is Cascade 128. I don't know if you call it chunky or bulky, but I think that it will make some warm Mittens for Akkol.

Front row, left to right: An Addi Turbo needle sizer. I have a Lion Brand needle sizer that does include the millimeter sizes in between US size, but I couldn't pass up another neat gadget. Trekking XXL. I made myself a pair out of this yarn before. They were too big. I frogged them and made them smaller. You guessed it. My mother really enjoys her socks. Maybe I will have better success this time. Next is two skeins of Fortissima Socka in a really pretty blue. I have a project in mind that will require some blue. Just in case it does not work, or I change my mind, I got enough for a pair of socks. Last is Regia Stretch that I have been wanting to try out.

Did I remember that I wanted to get yarn for a CIC sweater while it was all on sale 25% off? Of course not. I got there early to look around, but one of the students also got there early, and I got distracted while helping her decide what to get.

Table Top Photography Studio Update

Gray poster board is hard to find. I resorted to hanging some gray fabric (stop laughing Mama, I know that is what you suggested in the first place), but even though I ironed it (yuck), it still wrinkled. It is a temporary solution. I'll keep looking. Also, I think that I need to add some more light. Maybe brother H will get caught up enough to help me one day. He is a professional photographer. One time I got him to take some pictures that I wanted by telling him that if he did not take the pictures, then I would take them. Then I would tell the whole world that he took them. Wonder if that would work again?
Old background on the left. New background on the right. I'm not sure which one I like best.