Sunday, February 25, 2007

Getting Ready for Another Birthday

Niece K is the birthday girl this time. She already has an American Girl doll that she got at Christmas. I'm working on a wardrobe of clothes for the doll. I've got until March 10th and am WAY behind.

Today's model is from the Springfield collection that is available at craft stores.


This shirt is from the Kwik Sew Pattern 2878.

One tip to help with the curved hems:

Sew a line of long stitches on the edge, just like you would do if you were gathering something. Pull the thread to help the hem turn in.




















This fleece jacket is from Simplicity Pattern 5676. It is a very easy jacket to make.

Tip: Around here it is hard to find separating zippers the right length. Use what ever length you can find and cut off the extra from the top after sewing in the zipper.









This sweater was knit from a pattern I wrote. It is currently being test knit. I hope to eventually share the pattern here.

The yarn is James C Brett Marble Amethyst. One ball is enough to knit two doll sweaters.

I used size 7 needles.












Hats for Russia


I'm knitting warm items to send to children in St. Petersburg, Russia. Look here for more information on the ministry and contact me for details if you want to send anything.

I had an awful time trying to get the color to show up good and finally just gave up. Trust me, this is a very pretty purple.
The yarn is Cleckheaton Country Silk 8 ply (Color 4). It is a blend of 85% wool and 15% silk.
I cast on 88 on size 7 and am doing a k2, p2 ribbed watch cap.


The shape on this one looks weird and I started to wait to show it, but I promised the Knitting Wonder Woman that I would show a picture since these colors are a little out of the ordinary for me (OK, a lot out of the ordinary).
The pattern is based on one that I saw in my LYS. A rolled brim, then k2, p2 ribbing.


I had just finished reading "Knitting Rules" by Stephanie Pearl-McPhee and I used her tip to knit the brim on a smaller number of stitches than the rest of the hat. Her book is full of lots of useful information like that and many good laughs.

I've about come to the conclusion that it would be quicker to write my posts in html than to edit what I get when trying to use the WYSIWYG tool.